Pathways to Success
In line with our commitment to the College values of Respect, Endeavour, Achievement and Pride, our Pathways Program aims to achieve positive outcomes for all our students.
At YHSC we are committed to developing our student’s awareness of pathways beyond their secondary education including individual pathways counselling that assists with vocational options and decisions. This is also supported through our comprehensive World of Work curriculum starting at Year 8 and in 2016, it will be implemented from Year 7. Within World of Work students are exposed to vocational testing, guest speakers, careers bulletins and Tertiary Information Service excursions. For some, the focus of secondary education is university entrance, others wish to pursue alternative tertiary education programs such as TAFE and Training Institutions.
Parents are encouraged to contact the Pathways Team to arrange an appointment to discuss subject choices and course options for their students.
Our library has a dedicated Careers/Pathways resource area which is open to all students and they are encouraged to use this valuable resource to further explore their future option. A wide range of resources include University and TAFE booklets, brochures, pamphlets, DVDs, the Job Guide and other books are available for student use.
Features of our Pathways program include:
- Career Action Plans which are commenced in Year 8 and updated each term.
- Students are individually counselled during their VCE/VCAL years. Parents are encouraged to be involved and consultation can occur during and outside school hours
- Year 10 students are guided through career awareness and use of programs such as My Future and Youth Central and The Job Guide site.
- Structured Work Placement is organised when required for students in Years 10-12.
- Compulsory work experience is organised by students and occurs in the last week of Term 2.
- The College Information Night provides Year 10 students and parents with information on options after Year 10 particularly if they are considering VCAL or VET as an option for Years 11 and 12.
- An intensive transition program is provided for students moving into VCE and VCAL focusing on subject selection, including tertiary prerequisites and career management planning.
- Year 12 students are individually counselled in post school options including both TAFE and university, employment options and are provided with assistance and guided through the VTAC process.
- Students are provided with a sequential program of careers information and regular careers bulletins outlining events, expos and other pathway opportunities via our secure Facebook Group, Careers Bulletin Boards and emails to families.
- Ongoing assistance with individual pathway planning and subject choices is available to all students
- Access to a large range of Vocational Education Training (VET) programs within the Yarra Valley VET Cluster for students in Years 11-12 with VET Certificate II in Automotive being conducted in our dedicated mechanics workshop.
- Ongoing support for exiting and exited students